Park am Mäuseturm, 55411Bingen am Rhein
From a toll tower and a signal tower to the world-famous landmark
Since the mid 13th century, the archbishops of Mainz used the narrow waterway of the Bingen hole close to the tight Rhine shore to collect duties. At the beginning of the 14th century the fortification line was additionally strengthened by the guard tower on the river island. The name "Mouse Tower" which was verified for the first time in 1516, is derived from its function as a guard tower (middle high German for musen=lie in wait). The Mouse Tower received a new role as a signal tower for shipping at the Bingen Hole, which only became redundant when the waterway was finally enlarged in 1973/74.