In the 19th century, Amschel Mayer von Rothschild purchased a manor house named "Grün Burg" ("Green Castle") from the Frankfurt banking family, Bethmann-Metzler. Having purchased the property, Rothschild commissioned a small castle to be built on the grounds. Meanwhile, various Frankfurt landscape architects took up the task of shaping the vast parklands. In 1935, the park was forcibly expropriated by the National Socialists. Soon thereafter, in 1938, the Goldschmidt-Rothschild family emigrated to Switzerland. Sadly, Castle Grüneburg was destroyed during the air raids of 1944, like so much of Frankfurt.
A commemorative plaque by the artist, Clemens M. Stragulla, was placed behind the column in 2007, featuring supplementary information and a silhouette of the former castle.