Erinnerungsstätte Synagoge Friedberger Anlage,
Frankfurt am Main
The synagogue, once situated at what is today Friedberger Anlage 5-6, was burnt down by the National Socialists during the November pogroms of 1938. After its destruction, the Wehrmacht built an above-ground bunker on these grounds in 1942.
In 1985, an architectural competition was held with the objective of redesigning the forecourt as a tribute to the former synagogue. The winning entry, an installation by the landscape architect, Jeannette Garnhartner, was officially inaugurated in 1988. Its centrepiece consists of four massive, similarly sized granite monoliths. Between these granite slabs, one finds a memorial stone with an inscription reminding of the destruction of the synagogue during the so-called "Night of Broken Glass", which took place during the night of 09th/10th November 1938. The installation is supplemented by a reconstructed column as well as a fragmentary remnant of the synagogue's entrance portal. The remodelled bunker is today home to a permanent exhibition informing visitors of Jewish life in the Ostend.