Frankfurt am Main
Open 24 hours
The large fountain at Kaiserplatz, or Emperor's Square, was gifted to the City of Frankfurt by Baron Raphael von Erlangen in 1876. The baron, a local banker, also served as the consul for Portugal, Sweden and Norway.
The fountain's basin was carved from a single stone. In former times, the fountain gained notoriety as a somewhat unpleasant smelling urban feature due to the river water, which became malodorous during particularly hot days. The fountain was disassembled while the subway line was being built but reassembled after its completion in 1974. The works department seized this opportunity and improved the water supply and the sanitary situation, much to the delight of the local populace.