Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung/Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Aschaffenburg,
The Johannisburg Palace (1605 - 1614) is one of the most significant palaces from the late German Renaissance and it was the second residence for archbishops and Elector of Mainz until 1803.
Official content of
In spite of severe damages during the Second World War the Johannisburg Palace didn´t lose its imposingness. The Palace is home to an unusual attraction: the world´s largest collection of architectural models made of cork. The painstakingly accurate replicas were created by court confectioner Carl May and his son Georg from 1792 and depict famous Roman ruins. The State Gallery which displays early German and Dutch paintings, with a special emphasis on works by Lucas Cranach the Elder and also the electoral rooms are important attractions for visitor from near and far. The Palace Museum displays artworks and historical references of the 6 th century. The focus lies on the history of the city, handicraft, paintings and sculptures. Special exhibitions of artists of Aschaffenburg take place regularly in the Palace.
Information about opening hours can be found right here.
Guided tours, guided tours in historical clothes, guided tours for children, lift available, parking-place for buses, adverse weather, national well-known