One of the oldest stone bridges in Germany - with a bridge chapel
Official content of
Bingen am Rhein
Bridges have a long tradition at the mouth of the Nahe river. The first bridge was built in the decade before Christ was born. At that time, Drusus fortified the left bank of the Rhine to mark the borders of the Roman empire by building fortifications and a wooden bridge over the Nahe river. After it was destroyed in 70 AD, the first stone bridge was built, which fell victim to the Normans in 891. Willigis built a new stone bridge over the Nahe a hundred years later. The eastern pillar of the bridge, a small early Romanesque chapel made of stone from the banks of the Nahe was carved out in order to have the bridge protected by the church. In March 1945, a special forces unit blew up the bridge before the approaching allies could reach it. Today, the Drusus bridge shapes the townscape of Bingen.
You can rent the key to the chapel at the tourist information center.