It only rang on special occasions and then usually alone: The centenary bell of St Paul's Church was cast for its reopening on the 100th anniversary of the first National Assembly. On the 175th anniversary, it will be exhibited for the first time in front of St Paul's Church.
Like most of the buildings in Frankfurt's old town, St Paul's Church was burnt out during the Second World War after one of the devastating air raids.
After the war, it was one of the first historic buildings in Frankfurt to be rebuilt. On its rededication on 18 May 1948, the new bells of St Paul's Church rang out the first city bells after the war.
The bell of the century, weighing 2,730 kilograms, was donated by the chambers of commerce of the British occupation zone and manufactured by the Bochumer Verein für Bergbau und Gußstahlfabrikation.
The inscriptions still bear witness to the great importance of the Paulskirche Assembly for all-German unity and the formulated basic rights.
Display panels tell the story of the deputies from the trades. In 1980, in the course of the pending renovation work, the politicians decided to re-establish the original ringing.