Marienthal is a special place of calmness and encounter and one of the oldest places of pilgrimage in Germany. Every year the Franciscan Monastery is aspiration for thousends of pilgrims.
Marienthal is a special place of calmness and encounter and one of the oldest places of pilgrimage in Germany. In 1465 the brethren of Joint life moved to Marienthal. They established the Reputation of the monastery as one of the first printeries of the world. After the Jesuit Order dissolved in 1773 which was consigned to pilgrimage in 1612, the buildings deteriorated fast. Bishop Blum from Geisenheim (born in Limburg) started an initiative to rebuild the place of pilgrimage in 1857/58. The Jesuits returned temporarily before the Franciscan took over the responsibility of the monastery in 1873. Down to the present day they have stayed in Marienthal. They try to live like the spirit of Saint Francis and be available for pilgrims. Monastery and pilgrimage church are located on the Taunus´ sunshiny southern slope the most beautiful part of the Rheingau. Marienthal and its forest appeal to copious walks and hikes. Calmness and the beauty of the nature give space to take a deep breath and relax. The Elsterbach which travers the monastery grounds essentially contributes to the pilgrimage atmosphere. It offers various possibilities for treatments and meditation.