In 1899 Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig invited seven artists to come to Darmstadt and, thus, the Artists´Colony Mathildenhöhe was founded. The first of four large art exhibitions took place in 1901. The artists presented their ideas of a new living and working world. They designed a colony, the focal point of which is the Studio House, the Ernst-Ludwig House. Since 1990 it houses the Artists´ Colony Museum. The homes of the artists, partly with original exteriors, are grouped around the Studio House: House Olbrich, House Deiters, House Habich, Glückert Houses and House Behrens.
In 1908 the Exhibition Halls were built, together with the Wedding Tower, which was a wedding present for the Grand Duke. Bernhard Hoetger artistically added his reliefs and sculptures to the Plane Tree Grove in 1914. Due to the Family relationship between Hessen-Darmstadt and the Romanovs, the Russian chapel was built in 1899, according to the design of the St. Petersburg architect Louis Benois and decorated by Victor Wasnezow.
Every first saturday of the month 12:00 to 13:00 o´clock guided tour for children from 6 years in the Museum Artists´ Colony.
A model of the Wedding Tower for those with visual impairment in front of the actual Wedding Tower.
For special opening hours during holidays, please check our homepage.